Monday, October 26, 2009

The Roasting Plant

I am a little bit stumped by the sleek, yet friendly, Roasting Plant cafe in the Lower East Side. All, that's right, all of their beans are described as fair trade, but when I went to their website, I did not see anything about fair trade certification or the producers. All they mentioned was having an "eye towards fair trade practices". What exactly that means, I am waiting to hear back. Below is my inquiry to RP...


Dear Roasting Plant,

I visit your store often, and I am a big fan of your coffee and friendly baristas. However, I do have one concern -

I saw in the store that all of your coffees are fair trade, a rarity among cafes, and I was intrigued and wanted to learn more. Upon going through your website I was confused as to what you meant as an "eye towards fair trade". Does that mean you are a fair trade certified roaster? Does it mean you are not certified by transfair, but pay above the established minimum "fair" price per pound for all the beans you buy? Does it mean you are working towards becoming a fair trade buyer and roaster?

I was hoping you could clarify because, as is, I feel a little misled. If you are upholding the pillars of fair trade, you should shout it from buildingtops because it is my feeling that consumers are growing increasingly aware of and sensitive to theses labels and issues. However, if you are not really fair trade yet, I think you should be careful not to dilute your own reputation and that of the true fair trade systems in place around the world by misrepresenting your product.

I am curious about the specifics of who and where your coffee really comes from. If you know this info, I would love to hear more!

Thanks for your time, your feedback, and of course, the superb cappuccinos!

Kind Regards,
Liz O'Connell


Details
81 Orchard Street, New York, NY 10002 (between Broome & Grand)
Hours: 7am – 8pm weekdays, 8am – 8pm weekends

Liz's Rating
Linger? – Usually you can find a spot to sit on the bench or ledge inside, or you can sit outside with your pooch by the doggy drinking bowl.
Cost - $
Value – High
Taste – 3 stars
Mood – 3 stars
Wifi - yes

No comments:

Post a Comment