Thursday, September 24, 2009

Come JavaWalk with me

Parched—how I feel as I plop down at my desk at 9:04 am, still sweating from the extra layer I thought I would need, but then could not slip out of on the crowded 6 train. I gulp down the last sip of my lukewarm coffee and exhale slowly. What will today bring? Extraordinary bliss? Unnecessary stress? I stare into the dregs and search for a sign in the black trail of espresso that lines the bottom of my empty cup.

What’s the point of all this anyways? I learned quickly that the trills of having a “real” job amount to email responses I receive from faceless colleagues. What happened to the real people? What happened to the idealistic dreams I clung to in college? I may be acting (a little) melodramatic, but I can’t keep from thinking that my value in life is now measured by what I can accomplish behind this glowing box with 64 keys between the hours of nine and five each day.

We can’t all be rock climbers and rockstars, but I won’t settle for this drought any longer. There is far too much I yearn to learn, see, do, and understand. This world is vast, yet with each day that passes, I feel that our lives grow increasingly connected and dependant on one another. Every choice we make, from squeezing into a departing subway car, to buying a morning beverage, plays into something bigger. The global economy is a force for change more powerful than any other. My desire to be an engaged participant in this global relationship is what fuels my new blog: JavaWalking. In this blog I will document the responsible and informed choices that even we sheltered urbanites can make everyday to connect with communities far away.

So, after a nice cold glass of water, I rub the sleep from my eyes and embark on an adventure. I will tell the stories of a city girl attempting to understand trade, and make it more fair in the process. Latte by latte, we can make little sips for big change. Drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment